Documented

The Money Pit: 230 Years of Digging on Oak Island

2026-07-15 · Enigmatic Places · 8 min read

In the summer of 1795 a teenager named Daniel McGinnis rowed out to a small wooded island in Mahone Bay, off the coast of Nova Scotia in Canada. In a clearing he found an old oak and, directly beneath one of its limbs, a shallow saucer shaped depression in the ground, as though something heavy had once been lowered there. Accounts written decades later add a ship's tackle block hanging from the limb. McGinnis rowed back with two friends, John Smith and Anthony Vaughan, and the three began to dig.

A few feet down they struck a layer of flagstones that did not belong in that soil. Below it the walls of the shaft carried the marks of old picks, and at about ten feet they reached a platform of oak logs set into the clay, their ends notched into the sides of the pit. At roughly twenty feet there was a second platform, and a third at thirty. The boys stopped at about thirty feet, out of strength and daylight. Whatever the shaft was, someone had dug it before them and filled it back in.

In the early 1800s a group of investors trading as the Onslow Company took over the site with proper equipment and, by their own account, carried the shaft down toward ninety feet. They described layers of charcoal, of ship's putty, and of a coarse brown coconut fibre, a material with no natural source anywhere near Nova Scotia. Near the bottom, according to the same accounts, they levered out a flat stone cut with unfamiliar symbols. A translation circulated later in the century: forty feet below, two million pounds are buried. The stone itself disappeared, and no reliable drawing of its markings was ever recorded, so the single most famous object in the story cannot be examined today.

At around ninety feet the pit flooded. Seawater came in and rose to roughly sixty feet below the surface, and no amount of bailing lowered it. Every shaft sunk on the site since has flooded in the same way, and the water in the workings has been observed to rise and fall with the tide.

Later searchers turned to Smith's Cove, a beach some five hundred feet from the pit, and uncovered a fan of five stone lined channels, each reported at about sixty six feet long, converging toward a single point and packed with more coconut fibre in place of sand. The arrangement works as a filter, gathering water along the shoreline and carrying it inland. It is one of the few features on the island that almost everyone agrees was built by human hands.

Around 1849 the Truro Company, unable to keep the main shaft dry, tried boring into it with a pod auger. Their report describes the drill passing through a layer of loose metal in pieces and bringing up what were called three small links of a gold chain. Nothing further was recovered by that method, and the links, like the inscribed stone, cannot now be produced for inspection.

Elsewhere on the island searchers mapped a triangle laid out in beach stones, a swamp with an oddly regular outline that later crews drained and searched, and a scatter of large granite boulders that some surveyors have connected on paper into a cross several hundred feet across. None of these has been securely dated.

The search has cost lives. Six men have died on Oak Island since work began. In 1861 a worker was fatally scalded when the boiler of a pump burst. In 1897 a searcher named Maynard Kaiser fell to his death in a shaft. In August 1965 Robert Restall was overcome at the bottom of a shaft, most likely by hydrogen sulphide gas; his son climbed down to help him and collapsed, and two other men who went in after them died as well. Four men died in a single afternoon, in front of their families. A local saying that seven must die before the island gives up its secret is still repeated by visitors, but the six are real men with graves, and the site remains dangerous to work.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, years before the presidency, invested in a search company and took part in a dig here in 1909.

The modern era belongs to two brothers from Michigan, Rick and Marty Lagina, who bought into the island in the mid 2000s and since 2014 have run the search on an industrial scale, filmed for the History channel series The Curse of Oak Island. Their crews work with archaeologists, surveyors and commercial laboratories under a Nova Scotia treasure trove and heritage licence.

Ad

That work has produced real material. A small lead cross was recovered whose metal, in testing shown on the programme, was matched to ore from a region of southern France. Coconut and coir type fibre from Smith's Cove has been radiocarbon dated to a range of roughly 1200 to 1400, centuries before Europeans are recorded as settling here. Fragments of human bone have been found in the spoil, reported to carry both European and Middle Eastern lineages. In the 1970s the searcher Dan Blankenship lowered a camera into a flooded cavity in the shaft known as Borehole 10-X and believed the images showed chests, tools and a human hand, though the footage was murky and nothing in it was ever confirmed. A large U shaped structure of notched logs marked with Roman numerals was excavated at Smith's Cove and dated to the age of sailing ships rather than to antiquity.

After 230 years the ground has been dug, drilled, dammed, dewatered and surveyed with sonar and ground penetrating radar. The original shaft can no longer be located with certainty, because so many later tunnels and boreholes have destroyed it. No chest, vault, coin or bullion has ever been recovered from the Money Pit.

Conclusions and Open Questions

The oldest explanation is the one the three boys assumed. Local tradition holds that pirates dug the pit, with Captain Kidd and Blackbeard named most often, and that it holds buried plunder. It fits the documented pirate activity along this coast and explains why no record survives. Its weakness is scale. Pirates buried loot quickly and shallowly on the rare occasions they buried it at all, and no documented pirate cache anywhere resembles a ninety foot engineered shaft with intake works hundreds of feet away.

A second family of theories, pressed by popular authors since the middle of the twentieth century and revived on the television search, holds that the pit was built by the Knights Templar or by Freemasons to hide relics, sacred documents or treasure carried out of Europe. Supporters point to the lead cross with its French metal source and to the medieval radiocarbon dates. The weakness is documentary: the case rests on a handful of ambiguous objects and on symbolic readings of the landscape, and no map, charter or contemporary account has ever been produced linking any such order to Mahone Bay.

Others argue for a French origin. One theory holds that the pit hides the pay chest or the valuables of the garrison of the fortress of Louisbourg, moved before the fortress fell to the British; a bolder version claims jewels belonging to Marie Antoinette were carried across the Atlantic during the Revolution and buried here. The French connection sits well with the lead cross and with the island's position near Louisbourg, but no surviving document names Oak Island, and the Marie Antoinette version cannot be traced to any source older than the twentieth century. A literary faction argues that the shaft hides original Shakespeare manuscripts written by Francis Bacon. Nothing physical has ever supported it.

Against all of these stands the geological reading, argued by skeptics and by geologists who have examined the bedrock. Oak Island sits on limestone and gypsum, rock that dissolves in groundwater and forms cavities and sinkholes, and on this view the sea reaches the workings through natural voids rather than through a designed tunnel. The pit becomes a collapsed sinkhole, the oak platforms become fallen timber and debris, and the legend grows by retelling. Its great strength is that it explains the fact every rival theory struggles with: that two and a quarter centuries of excavation have produced no treasure. Its weakness is that it must account for the Smith's Cove drains, the notched logs and the imported coconut fibre as coincidence, ordinary salvage work, or later activity misread as ancient.

A middle position has gained ground among archaeologists on the site. Some argue the depression is natural, and that people genuinely used the island, for careening and repairing ships, for storage, perhaps for burial, leaving real artefacts scattered around a hole that was never a vault. That would match the pattern of the finds, which add up to human activity without ever adding up to a prize.

What remains unexplained is specific and narrow. Coconut fibre in quantity on a Nova Scotia beach has no natural route there. Radiocarbon dates of roughly 1200 to 1400 on that fibre, and a lead cross traced to a European ore source, are awkward for a purely natural account. The inscribed stone and the three gold links were both reported by named men, and both are gone, which leaves the two strongest claims permanently untestable.

The open questions are the plain ones. Was there ever a deliberate shaft, or did three teenagers find a sinkhole and read structure into it? Who cut the stone, and what did it say, if it said anything? Are the Smith's Cove drains a flood trap, a shipwright's work, or a natural feature that later searchers tidied and relined? And how can a site excavated for 230 years yield artefacts, timber and bone but never a container? For now the pit answers none of it. Six men have died there, the water still rises to meet every shaft, and the honest position is that no one yet knows whether Oak Island hides a secret or only the memory of one.

Free reads left this month: 0

Share this story:

Reader comments (0)
Only active subscribers with verified payment can post comments. Get full access